Monday, August 13, 2007

Draft

I never really followed football when I was younger because I never had the attention span to watch the game. However, I always loved to watch highlights. However, as I have gotten older, gotten my ADD in check, and moved away from doing to watching, I have begun to follow football very closely. My point is that I understand the games well and all of the stuff that I see and here, but I haven’t followed it long enough to understand everything in terms of how players develop over time and so forth.

Here are some thoughts on the draft. Rounds 1 to 3 a team drafts because the players are good and will help the team. Rounds 4 to 6 are drafted not so much because they will be better than undrafted guys but more because teams have more film or they played in a big conference giving them less of a bust factor due to off-field behavior or injury.

The best example is the undrafted DT ED Johnson and 3rd Round Quinn Pitcock. Johnson has been described by SI.com as playing like he was “shot out of a cannon.” Pitcock is simply described as a hard worker. One was drafted and the other was not. Granted it does not say that Johnson was arrested he was suspended from school. I would assume that he had engaged in something inappropriate, but nothing illegal. I think that the Colts can work with a guy like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home