Saturday, June 09, 2007

Newegg Sucks?

Two years ago, when I built a new computer, all I saw on the net was how great Newegg was as far as prices and service. In fact, it was basically impossible to find any complaints about them.

I upgraded about a month ago, and Newegg was still the cheapest on a lot of things; however, their service was really bad. I had an issue where one of my credit cards was not working with their system; the credit card company said that Newegg's equipment was not transmitting the appropriate information. I e-mailed Newegg and got no response. After a day or two, I called. I talked to them and they said that I needed to contact my credit card company which I did. The credit card company told me the same thing; then, I tried to call Newegg and got no answer and e-mailed them to no avail.

Today, I ordered a wireless router. I checked Newegg and it was about $80 and $50 through buy.com. Buy.com also had more options.

Also, I have read a story or two where people felt like Newegg kind of gave them the fuck-off when they had problems.

I am not saying that you should never shop at Newegg. I am just saying that I would shop around before buying, and I would consider spending a little extra to get at least some service when there is a problem. When you are spending an amount of money that you would consider large, you should consider spending 5-10% extra for a little security in terms of service. Nobody wants to have a big chuck of cash dangling in limbo while some internet company isn't returning your correspondents.


***Just as a minor point. I am pretty sure that Newegg sends out auto responses to confirm that you sent an e-mail, but I never got a response that addressed my issues. ***

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home